Why is chocolate bad for your cat and can cats eat chocolate in minimal amounts? Chocolate is the way to many of our hearts. It would be nice if we could indulge in this luxurious treat with our beloved pets? Chocolate has many benefits. It releases different feel-good hormones. But, sadly, it has a different outcome for our furry friends.
Why is Chocolate Bad for Cats
Ingredients such as sugar, fat, and xylitol (the sugar substitute) aren’t suitable for cats; the two main ingredients in chocolate pose a direct threat to your kitty’s health. These ingredients are caffeine and theobromine. Theobromine is a plant alkaloid that naturally occurs in cocoa. Unfortunately, theobromine has been proven as a toxin for most animals, including cats.
How Much Chocolate is too Much Chocolate
The smallest amount of chocolate could be fatal for your cat. Any and all forms of chocolate should be avoided for your furry friends. There is no safe chocolate. Baking chocolate and cocoa powder are amongst the most dangerous due to their high level of theobromine. Chocolate with a low percentage of cocoa should also be avoided, as they all pose the same threat.
The level of toxicity will depend on how much chocolate your cat has ingested and what kind of chocolate. For a cat of ten pounds, one square block of chocolate can be just as dangerous as twenty tiny chocolate drops. Therefore, it is advised to not take the risk and avoid giving your fur friend any form of chocolate, as any amount could cause significant illness.
The Danger Symptoms After Chocolate Consumption
Handle the situation as a medical emergency. Immediately take your cat to the vet or your local animal emergency room. There they will determine the extent of the poisoning and administer treatment for your beloved pet. Even after treatment, you’ll have to continue to monitor your cat to ensure that all possible chocolate threats have left her system. Chocolate toxicity symptoms can range from moderate to severe.
Here are the signs of chocolate toxicity:
- Increased Heart Rate
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive urination
- Increased body temperature
- Rapid breathing or panting
- Muscle tremors or twitching
- Low blood pressure
What to do now?
In such a difficult situation, always remain calm. Cats are very in tune with their owner’s emotions. Therefore the moment you begin to stress, your cat will notice it and become on edge. It’s essential to keep them cool and calm to help keep the symptoms from escalating. Next, take your cat to the vet. The vet might try and induce vomiting to prevent your beloved cat from absorbing the toxins. Your cat might receive fluids as well.
Can Cats Eat Chocolate & Other Harmful Foods to Keep Away From Your Cat
The short answer to “Can Cats Eat Chocolate?” is No, you should always want and do what is best for your furry friend! Keeping them away from dangerous and deadly foods is one of the ways we ensure that they are safe. Cats are naturally picky eaters, but that doesn’t mean they know what’s best for them.
Everyday Food Your Cat Should Never Eat:
Here is a list of common foods to keep away from your beloved kitty.
A little bite of tuna here and there won’t hurt. However, if your cat’s diet consists of tuna alone, it might be time to look at other foods. Tuna alone won’t provide your cat with all the nutrients they need. In addition, if your cat overeats tuna, it could end up with mercury poisoning.
– Onions, Garlic, Chives:
Onions are very dangerous, no matter the form. Onions can break down your cat’s red blood cells. This will lead to anemia. Your cat can also get onion poisoning. Garlic is five times more potent than onions and, like chives, can cause significant health issues and could be potentially life-threatening.
– Milk and dairy products:
The media lied to us, as most cats are lactose intolerant. The digestive system of cats is unable to process dairy foods. This means that dairy could cause diarrhea and digestive problems in your cat.
Cats should never be consuming alcohol. This is because alcohol has the same effects on cats as it does on humans. It affects the brain and liver similarly and dangerously. It takes less alcohol to harm a cat than it does a human. Three teaspoons of whiskey could kill a five-pound cat.
– Grapes and Raisins:
In earlier years, grapes and raisins have been great pet treats. This has long been shut down as grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in cats. A small amount could make your cat very, very ill. Vomiting and hyperactivity are early signs that your cat has ingested some raisins or grapes.
Large amounts of caffeine are hazardous and can even be fatal for cats. Unfortunately, there is no known antidote for caffeine poisoning. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, and muscle tremors. Caffeine can be found in various colas, energy drinks, certain painkillers, and cold medicine.
The Last Yarn
Chocolate should always be kept away from cats. When your cat ingests chocolate, it is best to take them to a vet immediately. Various other foods could be fatal for your cat. Keep to kibble and vet-approved treats to ensure your cat stays healthy.